Burroway explanation of the description shows how to make the detail visual to the reader. At the beginning the book uses the terms “concrete; definite” as primary words to describe how to make these words work to your advantage when writing in your works. There are two most important details that the author describes in the chapter. The first one is that “the writer must deal with detail”. The second one says, “That these must be the details that matter”. These two keys are important because in writing fiction, you want to be as clear in detail as you possibly can. Find a way to grab a hold of the reader by showing them through senses rather than just telling them plain. That way, the reader can envision what is actually going on by using their senses. Also, concrete, can explain judgment, ideas or both. Majority of the time when both are used, it gives a better understanding if it indicates what the character is like rather than just telling the reader what the character is like. As I was reading this and the examples that the passage provided I begin to think of all the writing that I have done so far. There are a few fiction writing where I wanted to describe what was happening. Sometimes I would feel as if I was not giving enough detail, but I don’t want the story to shift plots or stray away from what I really want to talk about. It seems so hard to find out how much is needed to start the story and will I be able to tell the story without distracting the reader with all the other details.
As with concluding with TOAF, or To After That, although it may have seemed pointless at first to read a book about another book, but there were some important key facts that I learned dealing with this book. First off, I learned the definition of meta fiction which is a fictional book about another book. In this case, the book was a mixed genre of non-fiction/fiction and fiction because she added in her influences and detailed day-to-day scenarios to make her book. Since are topic mostly has been to show not tell, in the book To After That, Gladman is telling what she has written in her book, but on the other hand has made many revisions and it resulted in her describing in fine detail what influenced her to write her book (that did not get published) and the detail made in her revisions. Not only was the detail important, but as she was going over her work, she realized that the form used to make detail work well in your books was her main fascination. She was trying to come up with better ways to tell the story, instead of telling it herself. She wanted to use the detail to tell the story, so that the reader can get a better idea of what it going on through their own perception.
In the process of wanting your characters and present doing to come to life, it is best to use the active voice. The active voice is used to presently tell what is happening to the character or a thing within the story instead of what is being done. In Writing Fiction, it explain how different the passive voice is from the active voice. The example of milk in the sentence was used t differentiate the two. "She spilled the milk" is basically saying that the verb being used is in action, rather than "The milk was spilled by her" in the passive voice is making the subject more important in the sentence instead of the action being done. Also when using the active voice, use the verbs in which the subject will do all kinds of action within the sentence. If the subject is a dog, make the dog bark, protect its owner, run, sit, chase a ball and scratch its fleas. Do all things that will catch the reader mind to become active and engaged into the story and the action that is happening within it.
No comments:
Post a Comment